From: Paul Wright <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Different surname matches
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2011 16:01:15 -0500

I'm assuming no close match with any other Perkins who was not descended
from Alexander Warren Perkins? Also assuming that with 9 yrs of research,
you'v exhausted all conventional means to find a Perkins ancestor to this
Alexander.

If yes to both, then yes, your Y DNA most likely originated with a Warren.
The Warren middle name for your progenitor would also appear to support
this. There are several potential explanations that would require more
specific info to determine which is more likely.

Among the possible explanations are:
-father was a Warren and possibly died or abandoned family, mother remarred
to a Perkins and Alex took his step-fathers name, or raised by grandparents
and ended up taking mother's maiden name.
-Alex born a Warren and adopted by Perkins who may have been closely related
(aunt/uncle, cousin)
-Alex was born out of wedlock to unwed Perkins female, impregnated by Warren
father.
-mother was married to a Perkins and had extra-marital affair with a Warren
(and most likely still some relation given middle name)
-father was a Perkins who had event similar to those listed above occur to
him as a child.
-father and/or Alex born a Warren and changed identity to Perkins, keeping
Warren as a middle name.
-some other variant of common explanations for NPEs
-the Warren middle name would seem to imply NPE most likely took place with
him or less likely his father and not at some random point further back in
time.

Meanwhile the common ancestor with matches found in VA may simply mean
common ancestor was much earlier, perhaps elsewhere in US or back in
Europe. Perhaps both were in New England and one went to VA and the other
to NY, or both came from UK, one going to New England and the other to VA.
Most likely will be difficult to determine common ancestor without some
overlapping paper trail with common geography.