From: Paul Cutler <>
Subject: [DNA] Orcadian Y DNA I1
Date: Tue, 3 May 2011 05:17:43 -0700 (PDT)

Hi List,

yes I was referring to the description given by FTDNA when my results were 95% Orcadian, I have since looked at the Q+A on the site and they have the following sub groups listed under

Western European.

Basque,
French
Orcadian (Orkney Isles)
Spanish

It seems odd to me to have the Orkney Isles as a classification in which to group I would imagine a substantial part of the population of the British Isles?

So back to my question, if I am 95% Orcadian, does this suggest my genetic makeup is more likely to be similar to the population of the Orkney Isles rather than say French?

If this is the case does that mean that anyone with longstanding English ancestry will be classified as Orcadian?

thanks