From: Doug McDonald <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Orcadian Y DNA I1
Date: Tue, 03 May 2011 10:37:14 -0500

On 5/3/2011 7:17 AM, Paul Cutler wrote:
> Hi List,
>
> yes I was referring to the description given by FTDNA when my results were 95% Orcadian, I have
> since looked at the Q+A on the site and they have the following sub groups listed under
>
> Western European.
>
> Basque, French Orcadian (Orkney Isles) Spanish
>
> It seems odd to me to have the Orkney Isles as a classification in which to group I would imagine
> a substantial part of the population of the British Isles?
>
> So back to my question, if I am 95% Orcadian, does this suggest my genetic makeup is more likely
> to be similar to the population of the Orkney Isles rather than say French?

Yes. But what it really means is that you are from a bit SE or Orkney ...

which is England.

> If this is the case does that mean that anyone with longstanding English ancestry will be
> classified as Orcadian?

Yes.

I should add: when FTDNA started their PF, the only academic
samples from the British Isles were Orkney (from the HGDP)and Ireland
(from a medical study, but available from Illumina).

However, very recently a good set of real English became available.
The result of using English instead of Orkney is that quite
a bit more people test as 100% English instead of say 90% English
and 10% something more eastern or southern.

Doug McDonald

This thread: