From: vernade didier <>
Subject: [DNA] Re : Surprisng Y-STR result.
Date: Sun, 29 May 2011 12:24:26 +0100 (BST)

Sandy,

I am also waiting for an answer from FTDNA so I (tried to) read your post with attention.
Several points would need to be clarified :
Were the samples just sent for this particular analysis ?
I really think that some clue on the markers involved (part of the haplotpes) would help because the A, B, C and D explanation is really not easy to catch (although I think I got your point).

The solution is obviously to send (separately) another sample for each.

Didier

Sandy wrote :
> We have persons A, B, C, D and E.
>
> A and B are thought to be closely related.
> On a particular day, B's results comes out looking like C
> instead of looking
> like A.
> A, however, is notified (on the same) day of a match with
> D.
> D shows more than a passing resemblance to C.
> C and D have relatively unusual haplotypes.
>
> Of course the first thought is one or more NPE's. However,
> the thought also
> occurs that there may have been a mix-up between the
> results of B and D. I'm
> sure mix-ups are very rare, but is there a way of checking
> the surnames of
> the people who were in a particular batch? The results
> arrived on Wednesday
> 25 May.
>
> FTDNA seem too busy to respond to queries at the moment.
>
> Help!
>
> Sandy

This thread: