From: Bernie Cullen <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Neolithic Y-chromosomes from Southwestern France
Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2011 20:00:45 -0700

The way I look at it, there are four basic clusters of M26:L160+ which is the most common, and found everywhere that M26 is found, from Iberia to Sardinia, mainland Italy, France, BeNeLux, western Germany, Switzerland, Britain and Ireland, very small amounts in Sweden, and very small amounts in eastern Europe mostly in Jewish people, some who have a tradition of Sephardic ancestry.
L160- "generic" which is less common than L160+, can usually be distinguished from L160+ with 67 markers but pretty much impossible with the short haplotypes published in papers. L160- is strong in Ireland, present in Britain, and one family from Normandy, France. We haven't found any L160- "generic" in southern Europe: Spain, Portugal, Sardinia or Italy. We really only know the distribution of L160+ vs. L160- generic from FTDNA customers. There are some other distinctive clusters within both L160+ and L160-.
L160- "M26-F(rance)" most? of which has DYS391=9 and can be picked out pretty easily in yhrd and papers, but other members have DYS391=10. It's found especially in France but also surrounding countries, a little in Britain and Ireland.
The newest discovery is L160- "YCAIIa,b=18,21". All the other clusters have the very low value of 11 repeats for YCAIIa, but this clade has 18,21 for YCAIIa,b. It is known from a few Mexican-Americans and also a German and some German-Americans. It doesn't seem that it made it in any numbers to Britain or Ireland. It seems likeliest to me that this group branched off from the rest of M26 before the big mutation down to 11 repeats happened. There's a good chance that all of this cluster is L277+, we are investigating that SNP now.
You can see these clusters highlighted in orange near the top of the I2a Project:http://www.familytreedna.com/public/I2aHapGroup/default.aspx?section=yresults
Bernie

This thread: