From: "Sandy Paterson" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Asymptotic Distributions for General Mutation Models
Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2011 20:18:13 +0100

I don't think so Dave. Have a look at

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2733445/OFF-MODALMATCHES.png

That's for a gd of 3 and a match of 64/67.

Look how the observed frequency of TMRCA<=10 ranges from .141 for zero
off-modal matches all the way up to .680 for 10 off-modal matches. Using 10
is perhaps an extreme, but for 7 we compare .641 to .141, a factor of 4.5 or
thereabouts.

So unless I've made some monumental errors in my simulations, this suggests
that the IA model is really not worth bothering with.