From: Ann Turner <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Polynesians and Kon Tiki Concept
Date: Sun, 19 Jun 2011 09:34:45 -0700

Another news item mentions using HLA haplotypes to date the introgression of
Native American genes. The HLA region is distinctive because it is (dare I
use the word) very polymorphic and has a low recombination rate. A
relatively short HLA haplotype would mean that it's been around long enough
to recombine.

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn20546-early-americans-helped-colonise-easter-island.html

Ann Turner

On Sun, Jun 19, 2011 at 7:27 AM, Kenneth Nordtvedt
<>wrote:

> http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/science-news/8582150/Kon-Tiki-explorer-was-partly-right-Polynesians-had-South-American-roots.html
>
> I find this story particularly interesting because in 1972 a sailboat on
> which I crewed visited the reef on Raroia Island where the Kon Tiki
> expedition ended its voyage.
>
> But those researchers have a difficult task --- to prove convincingly that
> Captain Cook and other early visitors to Polynesia did not have some crew
> with native American ancestry.

This thread: