From: Vince Tilroe <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] The "IRISH" Genome Y-SNPs and DF21 (was: Markers thatdetermine someone is Irish and Scottish)
Date: Sat, 09 Jul 2011 15:14:18 -0600

I had pulled the Y-SNPs for the from the Galaxy database
(, under Irish Whole Genome) several
months ago, which were then compared with the current findings from the
1000 Genomes Y-SNP study on DNA-Forums. Not only is this individual
S145/L21+, he is also L459+ Z245+ Z260+ Z290+ (all of which are likely
equivalent with S145/L21), and DF21+ to boot, highlighting the potential
importance of Clay Daniel's comment regarding DF21 in a different thread.

These were later merged with dbSNP "rs" numbers assigned by NCBI as of
build 133. My working spreadsheet is accessible at

Vince T.

On 2011-07-09 8:03 AM, Ann Turner wrote:
> The full text of the technical article about the complete genome sequence of
> this Irishman is available online.
> His sample was specifically selected as being typical for an Irishman from a
> previous study using a genome wide scan. It was based on an Illumina chip
> with about 500,000 markers, similar to the one used by 23andMe and by FTDNA
> for Family Finder / Population Finder. Figure S1 is a PC (Principle
> Components) diagram, a way of showing how similar or different various
> samples are. This dataset is not available to FTDNA or 23andMe.
> The same article states that his Y-DNA tested positive for a SNP called S145
> ( L21 at FTDNA). There is a Y-DNA signature that is commonly (but not
> exclusively) found in Irish, which FTDNA calls "Niall of the Nine Hostages."
> It is positive for a SNP called M222, a subclade of L21. The sample in the
> above paper was negative for that.
> Genetic genealogists continue to look for clusters of similar Y-STR results,
> so you may see terms like "Irish Type III."
> Ann

This thread: