From: "Alister John Marsh" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] R1b-P312-L617 subclade 300 to 500 years old minimum
Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2011 09:54:40 +1200

My haplotype is not distinctive enough at 12 markers to eliminate a lot of
unrelated matches, but I keep watching for any matches which might be

Above 25 markers I have only a few matches, and most of those have turned
out promising.

My problem has being identifying which of my distinctive marker scores are
more than 1000 years old. I have some quite distinctive slow mutating
marker scores, but I am beginning to think that many of the slowest of those
are less than 1000 years old. I am however testing some theories which
might reveal to me the core of very old distinctive markers.

One curious thing is that when I limit my searches to only my distinctive
group of markers, I end up with a lot of I haplogroup and J haplogroup
matches. I keep trying different combinations of my distinctive markers to
try and hit on the magic mix.

One problem I have is that two markers I am interested in are on the 68 to
111 panel, and until FTDNA get that panel on Y-Search, it limits the extent
I can do searches for just those distinctive markers.