From: "Kenneth Nordtvedt" <>
Subject: [DNA] Tree Challenge Update
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2011 14:21:57 -0600

I will put out a new file of haplotypes and STR mutation rates this evening for a new challenge to reconstruct Y tree or any parameters of that tree and its mutations that peoples’ softwares and algorithms can take a crack at.

Two brave souls tried the first challenge. Things can work pretty well for first node back from present in reconstruction (although I still don’t know how metrically good they did?), but their genealogical accuracies went downhill fast when going deeper into the tree. I have invented some terms like “Tree Brothers” and “Tree Uncles” to make discussion easier and which I will describe further tonight.

But why I am putting out new challenge is that I forgot to get my PC program which produces the haplotypes, the public challenge file, and the private lockbox file, to automatically put the Case Number on the file names as well as in the file bodies. So when I
was tinkering with my lockbox file part of my program I accidently overwrote and lost the lockbox file. The new challenge and lockbox files will have the Case Numbers imbedded in both the body of the files and the file names, hence protected from accidental overwrite.

Ken

This thread: