From: "Lawrence Mayka" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] New Z series SNPs for R1a1a1 haplogroup
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2011 17:09:19 -0500

1) Z281, Z86, and Z283 just became available. However, other SNPs in the Z
series have been made available one by one, including Z284. The Z series of
SNPs come from data collected by the 1000 Genomes project. It takes time
for FTDNA to develop a working, reliable test for each discovered SNP.

2) You are correct that L176.1 is downstream from L448, which in turn is
downstream from Z284, which we believe is downstream from Z283. However,
Z93 is a completely different branch, ubiquitous in Asia and around the
Mediterranean but very rare in Northern Europe except within groups known to
have immigrated from elsewhere (Jews, Tatars, etc.).

3) I understand your confusion with alphanumeric names like R1a1a1h, which
either change constantly, have different names in different published trees,
or mean different tree branches to different people. It is clearer to focus
on one's own most specific SNP--in your case, L176.1.

4) There are several commonly used haplotrees, reflecting different levels
of knowledge and certainty. For the Z series of SNPs, the best reference is
this draft haplotree composed from the 1000 Genomes data:

http://www.box.net/shared/o5unjxxipns1fd18xz08

But of course, haplotrees from other sources reflect some or none of this,
because we haven't proven it out yet.

5) I have sent ISOGG the data necessary to add L448 and Z284 to their
haplotree, but apparently my contact is traveling or on vacation, because he
has not responded or acted yet. ISOGG cannot even consider Z86, Z281, or
Z283 until their positions are confirmed by FTDNA tests.

6) For up-to-date interpretation and advice, I suggest you join the R1a1a
and Subclades Project:

http://www.familytreedna.com/public/R1a/default.aspx

> From: Deborah [mailto:]
> Did this just happen ???
>
> Our group just upgraded testing and was changed from R1a1a1 to R1a1a1h
> called by FTDNA as L176.1 (the ISOOG term is Z93) ..... (positive for
Z284
> and L448 as well) We were informed it is part of the "Young Scandinavian"
> tree OFF of the Old Scandinavian tree.
>
> We are novices in this fascinating field of Genetic Genealogy, but are
quite
> frustrated trying to apply the information in a useful method with so many
> changes and with different groups applying different terminology to the
same
> apple.
>
> Could you direct me to a reliable Phenotype TREE approved by the ISOGG
that
> shows these changes ....or is it only available at FTDNA ???
>
> Also is there a reliable site on what the implications are for each of the
> various SNP and deep clad tests ??

This thread: