From: "Tim Janzen" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Notes from Day One of the FTDNA Conference
Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2011 23:18:47 -0800

Dear CeCe,
This is excellent! Thanks for taking the time to write this. I
likewise wrote a summary of the conference on my way home on the plane.
There is some overlap between our summaries, but we both managed to cover
some different information. Below is my summary. I didn't go into as much
detail on some of the presentations as you did, but I did stay through the
entire conference so I heard some presentations that you weren't able to
stay for. There is only one bit of information that I had down differently
than you did. My notes indicate that Spencer Wells said that about 1 out of
17 men in the Mediterranean descend from Phoenician traders, whereas you
said it was 1 one out of 10 men. Also note that there are about 7040 cMs in
the entire genome. The autosomal chromosomes are doubled, which might be
how Bruce Walsh was coming up with 3000 cMs in the entire genome. The 3000
cM figure would be close to being correct if you only calculated the total
cMs for 22 autosomal chromosomes.
Sincerely,
Tim Janzen

I thought that would summarize some of the most important
things that I learned from the FTDNA conference in Houston this weekend.
Overall, I thought it was a great conference and I had a fun time meeting
many people who I had known only through e-mail contact previously.
Spencer Wells gave an update on the GenoGraphic Project. There
are currently about 75,000 people from indigenous populations that the
GenoGraphic Project has collected samples from worldwide from over 1000
different populations. Their overall coverage of these populations in terms
of samples is fairly good except that Native Americans from North Americans
are underrepresented in their database due to the fact that many tribal
groups haven't been willing to give samples to the GenoGraphic Project. The
GenoGraphic Project plans to retain all of these DNA samples from indigenous
populations and will continue to do additional testing on them above and
beyond what they have already done in terms of Y STR and mtDNA testing.
Complete genome sequences may be done on some or many of the GenoGraphic
Project samples at some point in time. There are 10 papers coming out of
the GenoGraphic project in the near future and an additional 24 papers are
currently in various stages of development. There are currently 415,000
participants in the public GenoGraphic project with an average of about
40,000-50,000 new participants joining each year. None of these samples
have yet been destroyed, but there are plans to eventually destroy the
samples of every public participant who doesn't transfer their results and
their DNA over into FTDNA's database.
Spencer summarized population movements throughout the world,
including the well known population bottleneck that occurred ca 70,000 years
ago in which the population of humans was reduced to ca 2000-10,000.
Spencer realizes that TMRCA estimates using genealogical mutation rates give
more accurate estimates than traditional evolutionary mutation rates in
terms of estimates for relatively young subclades. He thinks that there
needs to be a transition from genealogical rates to use of the evolutionary
mutation rates the further one goes back in time. I tried to explain to him
after his presentation that the primary reason that genealogical mutation
rates can't be used for older subclades and haplogroups is secondary to
saturation of the variance of fast and medium mutating markers. Spencer
still believes it is probable that R1b was in southern Europe in various
refugia during the last glacial maximum. Clearly those of us who don't
believe that R1b was in southern Europe in various refugia in the last
glacial maximum have more work to do in regards to convincing Spencer that
R1b (or at least R-L11) wasn't in southern Europe during the last glacial
maximum.
Dr. Michael Hammer gave an excellent summary of hominid research in regards
to the paleontological record and summarized what has been discovered in
terms of mtDNA, Y and autosomal DNA research, including a discussion of
interbreeding between Neanderthals and humans in the Middle East and
interbreeding between Denisovans and humans in SE Asia.
FTDNA is planning to allow uploads of 23andMe version 3 data
into their database in the near future at a cost of about $50 or so.
Version 2 data won't be allowed into their database, but Max Blankfeld said
that FTDNA would likely give a discount for 23andMe customers who have only
done 23andMe Version 2 test who would like to order the Family Finder test.
FTDNA doesn't have any plans to incorporate 23andMe's mtDNA or Y chromosome
SNP data into their database at this time. FTDNA doesn't have plans in the
immediate future to upgrade Ysearch so that it will allow the display of 111
markers. Ysearch is currently a lower priority item for FTDNA. Bennett
Greenspan mentioned that FTDNA is working on developing an X chromosome
browser.
Bruce Walsh discussed phasing and various other topics. FTDNA
is exploring the option of phasing data where two parents and at least one
child have done the FTDNA's Family Finder test or the 23andMe version 3 test
and using the phased data to run comparisons against other people in the FF
database. The use of phased data in Family Finder would significantly
reduce the number of matches that are simply identical by state.