From: Dienekes Pontikos <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Correct TMRCA analysis
Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2011 09:22:56 +0000

We don't need the 7STRs to certify E-V13, since there is a V13+ SNP.
The 7 STRs are supportive of the V13+ SNP, and nullify the possibility
that the latter is e.g., some type of post mortem DNA degradation or
such.

Even without the 7 STRs, however, the chance of such an event would
have been miniscule, since most of the Y-chromosome is monomorphic,
and the odds are stacked against the possibility of a postmortem
damage at precisely a site that happens to be polymorphic in modern
humans. And, the odds are stacked against the possibility of
contamination, given the rarity of E-V13 in the area today, and all
the precautions used by the scientists and described in the paper.

So, no, I don't see any reason that it is "equally likely that the V13
result was wrong."