From: Paul Wright <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] No matching segments
Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2011 12:37:08 -0600

I believe both 23andMe and FTDNA are claiming 99%+ chance of overlapping
segment share with 2nd cousin or closer, 90%+ for 3rd cousin. There have
also been studies shown that the 23andMe shared segment and total share
figures can predict actual relationship within 1 degree of relatedness out
to 2nd cousins.

The likelihood of a full sibling pair inheriting all of the exactly
opposite halves of DNA from each parent would seemingly be so microscopic
as to not warrant any reasonable consideration. While a statement like
you've made can be said about a single chromosome, the odds for all 22
autosomal chromosomes and the X would be almost infinitely small. Probably
better luck winning Poweball.

On Fri, Dec 2, 2011 at 6:59 AM, John Lerch <> wrote:

> Mary Alice,
> You totally miss the point. There is a chance (albeit a very small
> one) that you have ZERO matching segments with a TRUE BIOLOGICAL
> SIBLING.

This thread: