From: Keith Britton <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] . Re: The paying participants & administrator of projects
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2012 12:47:00 -0500

As a co-admin, I am not well placed to disagree with my admin, but an
important point is being missed. Both Diana and Lindsey have it exactly
right in respect to a test purchaser and FTDNA, and a test purchaser should
certainly understand that he/she acquires no right from that with respect
to any project or admin. But that ignores the question of independent
relationship between actual or potential project member and the project or
admin(s).

Admins typically offer something, in writing, to potential members.
Members respond with haplotype and other data. That's a contractual form
in which the participants have ethical if not legal obligations. Further,
why do admins make their offer, if they have no interest in members or
their data? Most admins presumably see something to their benefit, so
isn't it a matter of ethics that they should be willing to give something
back? Mine spends much thought, time and effort towards recruiting
members, presumably because she cares strongly. In reciprocity,
"something" certainly isn't likely to be $350/hr consulting, but...?

kb