From: Larry Vick <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Article: The Basque Paradigm: Genetic Evidence of aMaternal Continuity in the Franco-Cantabrian Region sincePre-Neolithic Times.
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2012 07:57:21 -0800 (PST)

I thought this quote from the paper below was very interesting:

Genographic Project Director and National Geographic Explorer-in-Residence Dr. Spencer Wells noted, “The Basque research is a wonderful example of how we are studying the extensive Genographic sample collection using the most advanced genetic methods. In some cases, the most appropriate tool may be mtDNA, while in others the Y-chromosome or autosomal markers may be more informative.  Ultimately, the goal of the project is to use the latest genetic technology to understand how our ancestors populated the planet.”

http://newswatch.nationalgeographic.com/2012/03/06/basque-origins-predate-arrival-of-farmers-in-iberian-peninsula-dna-analysis-finds/

I don't recall seeing that the Genographic Project was going to do any autosomal testing on the public participation samples (maybe they have said that but I don't recall it), but maybe they only intend do the autosomal testing on the indigenous samples.  From the statement that the goal is to use "the latest technology" it looks like high speed sequencing or chip technology might also be used.

Regards,

Larry