From: Dienekes Pontikos <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Out of Africa
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2012 23:36:01 +0300

The following article is good reading for anyone seeking to understand
the origins of anatomical modernity and how different early specimens
commonly attributed to Homo sapiens relate to extant humans.

Am J Phys Anthropol. 2010;143 Suppl 51:94-121. doi: 10.1002/ajpa.21443.

Fossil evidence for the origin of Homo sapiens.

Schwartz JH, Tattersall I.

An excerpt:

"Allowing for a slightly greater envelope of variation than exists
today, basic "modern" morphology seems to have appeared significantly
earlier in time than the first stirrings of the modern symbolic
cognitive system."

http://dienekes.blogspot.com/2010/12/fossil-evidence-for-origin-of-homo.html

With respect to whether Y-chromosome Adam and mtDNA Eve, we can be
certain of two things: they did not possess a "modern symbolic
cognitive system", since the latter is only visible in the last
100,000 years or so, and clear is the last 50,000 years, and both
Y-Adam and mt-Eve lived much earlier than this period.

As to whether they were anatomically modern, the odds are that they
were: after all, we're their descendants and we're anatomically
modern, and the two other archaic humans tested so far (Neandertals
and Denisovans) are much more diverged in their mtDNA. On the other
hand, we can't be certain that they were, since specimens from 100-200
thousand years ago typically exhibit a mix of modern and archaic
features, and these archaic features persist in some populations down
to the Holocene. So, while it's a good bet that Y-Adam and mt-Eve were
mostly anatomically modern, it is by no means a "sure thing".