From: Barton Lewis <>
Subject: [DNA] FTDNA Chromosome Browser
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2012 20:08:20 -0700

In the chromosome browser on FTDNA, I can see for any given match what
matches we have in common. But the default match setting is for shared 5+
cM, and at that level maybe only one in a group of matches will show
overlapping segments on a given chromosome. It's only when you select less
than 5 that you can see ALL overlapping segments for all those matches.
What's the significance of seeing 2 matches who have the same segment of 1+
cM, or 3? Can you predict with any confidence how long ago a shared
ancestor was, or at that level if there even was one?

Barton

This thread: