From: Thomas Krahn <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Info from Thomas Krahn about Geno 2.0
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2012 22:49:33 -0500

When people asked me, I usually didn't recommend the deep clade test for
the past few years.
However if you have already a Deep Clade test, then it depends on your
previous result:

If you are derived for a rare SNP that defines already a terminal SNP on
the Draft Tree (e.g. if you're R-M335), it probably doesn't make sense
to test Geno 2.0 (from a Y chromosome perspective) because there are no
further SNPs on the chip that will break down this haplogroup.

However for the majority of the Deep Clade customers the Geno 2.0 test
will offer a whole new dimension of high resolution and it will knock
off a whole bunch of ancestral markers that you then don't need to
verify with individual SNP testing. Starting from a Geno 2.0 result you
will rarely need more than 2-3 individual SNP tests to absolutely pin
down your exact haplogroup according to the most up to date knowledge.

Also you shouldn't have a too high expectation to find some
ground-breaking new SNP with the Geno 2.0 test. The phylogeny of the
contained markers is pretty much established and only in a few occasions
we will find unexpected parallel or reverse mutations. Geno 2.0 cannot
find absolutely new SNPs, however it will bring high resolution SNP
testing to a very broad user-base.

I consider the Geno 2.0 test as the "Autobahn" to bring you to the most
up to date phylogeny. No more speed limits by testing subsequent Y-SNPs
in a sequential order.

I hope this helps,

Thomas

On 09/24/2012 08:52 PM, Mary Guler wrote:
> If one has already done the recommended Deep Clade tests, is there any value in doing Geno 2.0?

This thread: