From: James Lick <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] mtDNA H11
Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2013 14:31:17 +0800

Hi Cyndi,

PhyloTree only goes down to U6a7a at this time. The U6a7a1b is either an
invented or obsolete designation. The U6 admin's phylogeny conflicts with
the current PhyloTree tree. For example, what the U6 admin calls U6a7a1 is
called U6a7a in PhyloTree Build 15. I would suggest the U6 admin update the
classifications to either the current PhyloTree Build 15 or else Build 14
which is the current standard used by FTDNA. Also I would encourage all
mtdna group admins to clearly state which designations are unofficial to
avoid confusion. For example, the U5 group admin will use something
like "U5a2a1*
Group G proposed new subclade" to group related sequences to make it clear
that the branch is unofficial.

Also I would urge caution in predicting a haplogroup based on 150T. This is
a fairly common mutation, so it could be coincidental.

23andMe currently uses PhyloTree Build 7 as their reference, so there may
be some discrepancies between it and mthap. You can also use the advanced
options of mthap to select an older reference to see how that compares.

Jim