From: Gail Tonnesen <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Potential of Geno 2.0 for MTDNA genealogy and phylogeny
Date: Sat, 2 Feb 2013 14:47:08 -0700

Another key difference between mtDNA and y-DNA is the size of the genome
and the time resolution it allows. Because of the small size of the mtDNA
genome, we get relatively poor time resolution even when sequencing the
full genome. The Geno 2.0 test will add additional uncertainty to the time
resolution.

And there is still some deep structure in the mtDNA phylotree that remains
to be discovered. We should soon have a new branch U1d that dates to about
20,000 years ago based on the full genome test of a FTDNA customer. We
need the FMS test to identify these deep branches in the tree.

I think the Geno 2 results could still be useful for phylogeographic
analysis, if NG starts sharing the actual test results, but they will not
be as useful as the FMS test results. So I'd strongly encourage anyone
interested in mtDNA to do the FMS test instead of the Geno 2.0 test.

This thread: