From: Shannon Christmas <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Autosomal matches at Ancestry.com
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2013 17:25:13 -0400

I wholeheartedly agree with CeCe's assessment of AncestryDNA and am
reticent to recommend AncestryDNA, despite their abundance of pedigree
data. Ancestry has omitted shared DNA segment locations and lengths,
attempted to fill the void with a vague meaningless confidence meter, and
employed questionable methods for matching customers as relatives (setting
a threshold based on megabases instead of the industry standard,
centimorgans).

Ancestry's reliance on megabases not only supplies customers with a bevy of
insignificant matches, but also fails to match us with individuals with
whom we share many centimorgans - but few megabases - of autosomal DNA.
Ancestry has reportedly phased the data, but has denied customers access to
the phased IBD segments shared with each match, thus customers cannot
perform chromosome mapping, test hypotheses, etc. Customers, as a result,
draw many false conclusions about how they relate to the genetic matches
AncestryDNA has identified. Ancestry's glaring judgement errors suggest the
company performed little to no research before entering the autosomal DNA
arena and the customers suffer because of it.

Very Respectfully,
Shannon

--
Mr. Shannon S. Christmas
Chief Market Advisor | Design Strategist

http://www.linkedin.com/in/shannonchristmas/

This thread: