GENEALOGY-DNA-L Archives

Archiver > GENEALOGY-DNA > 2013-03 > 1364070753

From: "CeCe Moore " <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Just downloaded Ancestry raw data
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2013 20:32:33 +0000

It is definitely not phased. I had a meeting with the AncestryDNA people at RootsTech (along with Tim Janzen and Dave Dowell) and they confirmed that.

The search function filtered by surnames or username is in the works.

John from Gedmatch says that they will be able to accept uploads in a couple of weeks.

Bennett said that FTDNA will accept uploads around May 1st.

CeCe
Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

From: Sam Eaton <>
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2013 20:20:21
Subject: [DNA] Just downloaded Ancestry raw data

A quick glance at the file as txt suggest that it will upload to GEDmatch and is somewhat phased.

From: "" <>
Cc:
Sent: Saturday, March 23, 2013 2:00 PM
Subject: GENEALOGY-DNA Digest, Vol 8, Issue 292

Today's Topics:

1. Re: 23 and me limit on genome sharing (Belinda Dettmann)
   2. Re: Ancestry DNA (John S Walden)
   3. Re: 23 and me limit on genome sharing (Dwight Holmes)
   4. Re: Bigfoot DNA- mtDNA T2b-- Cro Magnon T2b (Nelda Percival)

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Message: 1
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2013 09:04:44 +1100
From: "Belinda Dettmann" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] 23 and me limit on genome sharing
Message-ID: <006201ce2749$430526b0$c90f7410$@com.au>
Content-Type: text/plain;    charset="us-ascii"

This is the Compare Genes One-to-Many facility where the limit is 250
matches. It was never very illuminating and I haven't used it for years.

Belinda

From:
[mailto:] On Behalf Of Dwight Holmes

My brain and memory may be a few genes short of a full compliment, but I
recall being informed on one of these magnificent e-mail lists that there
is some feature in 23andMe's quiver that only works for up to a specific
number of shares - i recall 250 or maybe 350.  But what this feature is, I
don't now recall - I guess I was thinking it was Family Inheritance, which
would be real bummer, were it true. Hopefully someone will either fill in
more accurately what it is I'm remembering, or disabuse me of the whole
notion :o

------------------------------

Message: 2
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2013 17:06:36 -0500
From: John S Walden <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Ancestry DNA
Message-ID:
    <CAKBVi9n8TyFxytH9AzV6jiUj=>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1

For those that might be wondering this is the header from an AncestryDNA
file

And since it is close to the other formats it should be an easy update to
gedmatch.com
And yes they have have an example to use (mine)

Sorry to hear is it not the phase data

John W
===============
#AncestryDNA raw data download
#This file was generated by AncestryDNA at: 03/22/2013 14:52:39 MDT
#Data was collected using AncestryDNA array version: V1.0
#Data is formatted using AncestryDNA converter version: V1.0
#Below is a text version of your DNA file from Ancestry.com DNA, LLC.  THIS
#INFORMATION IS FOR YOUR PERSONAL USE AND IS INTENDED FOR GENEALOGICAL
RESEARCH
#ONLY.  IT IS NOT INTENDED FOR MEDICAL OR HEALTH PURPOSES.  THE EXPORTED
DATA IS
#SUBJECT TO THE AncestryDNA TERMS AND CONDITIONS, BUT PLEASE BE AWARE THAT
THE
#DOWNLOADED DATA WILL NO LONGER BE PROTECTED BY OUR SECURITY MEASURES.
#
#Genetic data is provided below as five TAB delimited columns.  Each line
#corresponds to a SNP.  Column one provides the SNP identifier (rsID where
#possible).  Columns two and three contain the chromosome and basepair
position
#of the SNP using human reference build 37.1 coordinates.  Columns four and
five
#contain the two alleles observed at this SNP (genotype).  The genotype is
reported
#on the forward (+) strand with respect to the human reference.
rsid    chromosome    position    allele1    allele

------------------------------

Message: 3
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2013 18:23:02 -0400
From: Dwight Holmes <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] 23 and me limit on genome sharing
To: Genealogy DNA List <>
Message-ID:
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1

OK, well that's good.  1) I'm not totally crazy and 2) as you say, it's not
a utility many of use much, as far as I know! THANKS!

On Fri, Mar 22, 2013 at 6:04 PM, Belinda Dettmann <
> wrote:

> This is the Compare Genes One-to-Many facility where the limit is 250
> matches. It was never very illuminating and I haven't used it for years.
> Belinda
> From:
> [mailto:] On Behalf Of Dwight Holmes
> My brain and memory may be a few genes short of a full compliment, but I
> recall being informed on one of these magnificent e-mail lists that there
> is some feature in 23andMe's quiver that only works for up to a specific
> number of shares - i recall 250 or maybe 350.  But what this feature is, I
> don't now recall - I guess I was thinking it was Family Inheritance, which
> would be real bummer, were it true. Hopefully someone will either fill in
> more accurately what it is I'm remembering, or disabuse me of the whole
> notion :o
> with the word 'unsubscribe' without
> the quotes in the subject and the body of the message

------------------------------

Message: 4
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2013 18:48:39 -0500
From: Nelda Percival <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Bigfoot DNA- mtDNA T2b-- Cro Magnon T2b
To: "" <>
Message-ID: <>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="Windows-1252"

Hi,
A few months or maybe even a year or so ago... 23 and me indicated that some of us had a percentage of Cro Magnon genes (what ever).

The question is this, was the 700 yr old  bone mentioned in Gail's email what was used to find the connection or do those of us with a connection to Cro Magnon still have a connection?

Just a thought that ran through my head when I read her email...
n.

I'll do special orders for you - Helping with something I believe in -  http://www.cafepress.com/awab 100% supports Animal Welfare, Adopt Internationally  http://www.AWAbosnia.org  -  Why we need your help  http://inmemoryofvucko.org

> Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2013 11:56:00 -0600
> From:
> Subject: Re: [DNA] Bigfoot DNA- mtDNA T2b-- Cro Magnon T2b
> First, Cro-magnons are modern humans. They have very minimal differences in
> their mtDNA compared to currently living people.
> Second, the T2b1 sample turns out to be 700 years old, quote from the paper
> below.
> The idea that breeding populations of bigfoot are living among us,
> snitching from our backyard barbeques and licking surveillance cameras, is
> really quite ridiculous.  It is frustrating seeing how this topic has
> become dominant in the discussion here.
> "All but one of the ancient modern human sequences from
> Europe belonged to mtDNA hg U, thus confirming previous
> findings that hg U was the dominant type of mtDNA before
> the spread of agriculture into Europe [15]. The exception was
> the Cro-Magnon 1 sample, which belonged to the derived hg
> T2b1, an unexpected hg given its putative age of 30,000 years
> [16]. Since the radiocarbon date for this specimen was ob-
> tained from an associated shell [16], we dated the sample itself
> using accelerator mass spectrometry (AMS). Surprisingly, the
> sample had a much younger age of about 700 years, suggest-
> ing a medieval origin. Consequently, this bone fragment has
> now been removed from the Cro-Magnon collection at
> the Musee de l?Homme in Paris."

> To unsubscribe from the list, please send an email to with the word 'unsubscribe' without the quotes in the subject and the body of the message

------------------------------

To contact the GENEALOGY-DNA list administrator, send an email to

To post a message to the GENEALOGY-DNA mailing list, send an email to .

__________________________________________________________
with the word "unsubscribe" without the quotes in the subject and the body of the
email with no additional text.

End of GENEALOGY-DNA Digest, Vol 8, Issue 292