From: Elizabeth Britton <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Richard III Y-DNA
Date: Sat, 4 Jan 2014 09:34:42 -0500 (EST)

I hope attitudes will change, and there is precedent for obtaining samples from ancient graves in England, although the individuals exhumed were commoners.

Several years ago William Kelso, director of the Jamestown Rediscovery Project, obtained permission to take DNA samples from two individuals buried at Stowmarket, but was unable to get a match:

"Because of the historical importance of the project and the thoroughness of the research plan, in June this year, The Church of England granted permission for an international team of researchers led by Kelso and backed by the National Geographic Society to uncover and obtain samples for DNA testing from the burials of Gosnold's sister and his niece who was buried at the St. Peter and St. Mary's Church in Stowmarket. It was the first time the Church had authorized this type of research for scientific and historical reasons."

http://historicjamestowne.org/news/gosnold_dna_06.php

If Richard's DNA doesn't match, either he or the Somersets or all of them could be the result of NPEs. I fear there are more NPEs in some of these lines than we would like to think. Three DeLaWarr/West descendants have been tested with three different results.

Lindsey

***************************

My guess would be any such request would be directed in the first instance
to the Bishop of the Diocese in which the body was buried. I would suspect
it may well then get referred to the Archbishop of Canterbury for
consideration, who may well want to consult the Royal Family through the
Head of the Royal Household, or even directly, and I would have thought any
wishes that the monarchy would express would be taken into consideration.

My feeling is that whilst the present Queen is alive this has little real
chance of happening, especially with royal bodies buried in sacred places
like Westminster Abbey. The sentiment here could slowly change with time as
DNA testing and ancient DNA testing gets more and more media coverage and
the general public encounter it more in medical diagnostics. But you can
just imagine that any positive opinion from the ecclesiastical bodies would
get picked up by all the media and we would then have questions in
Parliament, on television, etc. Is nothing sacred, etc. By far the easiest
option here is to let sleeping dogs lie.

But if Richard III turns out to be a NPE, it will present some media issues
anyway.

Brian

Because of the historical importance of the project and the thoroughness of the research plan, in June this year, The Church of England granted permission for an international team of researchers led by Kelso and backed by the National Geographic Society to uncover and obtain samples for DNA testing from the burials of Gosnold's sister and his niece who was buried at the St. Peter and St. Mary's Church in Stowmarket. It was the first time the Church had authorized this type of research for scientific and historical reasons

This thread: