From: Shannon Christmas <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] DNA genealogy: why and which problems are you facing?
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 2015 12:38:55 -0400

The major contributing factors to the problems genetic genealogists face:

- New customers' paranoia and ignorance
- The various products have overly complex or overly simplistic interfaces
that reduce access to the requisite data sets (pedigrees and matching DNA
segment data).
- Dysfunctional internal messaging systems
- Marketing that targets customers who only seek biogeographical analysis,
emphasizing the BGA to the exclusion of everything else.

The DNA testing companies ought to focus a greater share of their marketing
toward converting traditional paper-trail genealogists who have robust
pedigree data.

The DNA testing companies ought to develop introductory materials - written
at an 8th-grade reading level - that properly explain how to utilize their
products to advance genetic genealogy goals.

Each DNA testing company ought to modify their products to eradicate
barriers to matching DNA segment data and pedigrees for those customers who
seek to engage in genetic genealogy. To a degree, Family Tree DNA has
already done this, though their most recent family tree interface is a step
backward.

Each DNA testing company ought to enable customers to exchange email
addresses without an internal messaging system. Family Tree DNA has already
done this.

The time has come for the various autosomal DNA genealogy companies to
devise and implement effective solutions that minimize confusion and
frustration and maximize understanding and satisfaction. Enough is enough.

Very Respectfully,
Shannon

On Fri, Aug 14, 2015 at 11:48 AM, Margo Lurvey via <

--
Mr. Shannon S. Christmas
Chief Market Advisor | Design Strategist

This thread: