GENIRE-L Archives

Archiver > GENIRE > 1998-05 > 0894954264

From: Billshau29< >
Subject: Re: Griffith's Valuation of Ireland
Date: 12 May 1998 06:24:24 GMT

In article <>, (W. P.
Creedon) writes:

>Sue,
>
>Griffith's Valuation was comprehensive - that is, it listed every
>piece of land and building in the country with their "Occupiers" and
>"Immediate Lessors".
>
>Those terms are a bit technical but in the vast majority of cases they
>can be interpreted as owners and persons occupying under leases.
>
>It was not a census so every family was not recorded - only those who
>occupied land or buildings in their own right. Persons employed on
>farmwork would not be listed if the land was not in their own names.
>
>Also, it can be quite difficult to follow the listings where, say,
>Parishes, Baronies etc. are partly in one Poor Law Union and partly in
>another.

I think you missed a very important aspect of sue O'Donnel's original posting.
Sue pointed out that not only was her husband born and raised in the Townland
in question, but that at least one relative was alive back in the days of the
Valuation effort. In addition to this one relative, there were others in the
Townland whose lifespans reached levels of upwards of 120 years.

Sue and I have had quite a discussion about this. Her personal search leads
her to the conclusion that the Townland in question, Cahertubber, Athenry, Co.
Galway, was just overlooked in Griffith's.

Frankly, she has a much stronger basis for her conclusion than you do for
your's.

Bill Shaughnessy

This thread: