GENIRE-L Archives

Archiver > GENIRE > 1998-07 > 0899699923

From: <>
Subject: RE: Arrigna, Sligo?
Date: 5 Jul 1998 21:38:43 -0700

Searching Sligo for any placename including "Upper" yields:

Ardnaglass Upper; Sligo; Ahamlish; Sligo
Barroe Upper; Sligo; Killadoon; Boyle
Carrigans Upper; Sligo; Emlaghfad; Sligo
Cloghoge Upper; Sligo; Aghanagh; Boyle
Cooldrumman Upper; Sligo; Drumcliff; Sligo
Doonflin Upper; Sligo; Skreen; Dromore West
Glen Upper; Sligo; Drumcliff; Sligo
Rosses Upper; Sligo; Drumcliff; Sligo
Rosses Upper town; Sligo; Drumcliff; Sligo

Could you have misunderstood your father? Maybe it's "Carrigans" not
Arrigna?

In looking at the 1901 census (for Tyrone), I've noticed repeatedly that
there doesn't seem to be any consistency in when the townlands are called
"Upper X" and "X Upper" (i.e., I've seen the same townland written both ways
on two different sheets--maybe different enumerators?) Spellings often vary,
too. For many, there probably was no "official" "correct" version until much
later.

Hope this helps.
Claire

This thread: