GENIRE-L Archives

Archiver > GENIRE > 1998-07 > 0900119249

From: <>
Subject: Surname spelling - O'CONNOR/CONNORS
Date: 10 Jul 1998 18:07:29 -0700

My great-grandfather was born in Co. Cork in 1826; emigrated to Canada in
1847; in the 1871 census, he is shown as John Conners; in other Canadian
records he is shown as Connors; when he came to U.S. and was naturalized in
1886, he is listed as O'Connor. I know that many Irish dropped the O' from
their names at emigration and then some changed it back later.

However, when I look for him in Ireland, is it safe to assume that I should be
looking for O'Connor, not Connors? Or, in 1830's, would it have been Connors
because the "O` was son of and not O (apostrophe)?

Thanks.

This thread: