GENIRE-L Archives

Archiver > GENIRE > 1998-07 > 0900390090

From: "Brian E. Gleeson" <>
Subject: LYONS from Gowran, Kilkenny
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 1998 14:21:30 +1000

I seek members of the Lyons family which emigrated to Australia ca.
1850. My GGgrandparents were Edward Gleeson and Mary Lyons who married
in Gowran, Kilkenny, Ireland ca1810 and had 2 daughters and 8 sons. The
sons are all presumed to have come to Australia, most of them probably
before their parents. (I have travel arrangements on 4 of the sons)

Mary and Edward settled at Anakie near Geelong ca 1856, where 2 of
their sons viz. Edward Jnr. and Michael acquired land.Son Patrick
acquired land at Little River nearby. Mary actually died at Patrick's
home at Little River at age 92 on 9 Oct 1881.

Mary Lyons parents are shown as Edward Lyons, Produce Merchant, and
Catherine Hennessy.

I noted in researching Births and Marriages from the Gowran Catholic
Church records, via LDS films, that the Lyons name was popular in the
Gowran parish in the mid 19th century.

Is anyone out there connected?

Thank you if you can help or wish to exchange information. I am a member
of the GSV in Melbourne.

Brian Gleeson