GENIRE-L Archives

Archiver > GENIRE > 1998-07 > 0900496259

From: Barney Tyrwhitt-Drake <>
Subject: Re: Cardinal Nicholas Patrick Wiseman, Seville>World>London, 2 Aug., 1802-15 Feb., 1865
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 1998 10:50:59 +0100

In article <6ogusk$hth$1@news.gwis.com>, CCM <> writes
>I am researching one of my ancestors. I have found a wealth of information
>on him regarding his works for the church. Biographical information tells
>me that he was the younger son of James Wiseman, a merchant of Irish family
>resident in Seville, by his second wife, Xaviera Strange.
>
>Would it be presumptuous to assume that the Catholic Church would have
>detailed genealogical information on Wiseman?

As a Roman Catholic Cardinal and Archbishop of Westminster you'd be a
little presumptuous to claim him as an ancestor. :) A relative more
likely.

There is a very good biography of him in the Dictionary of National
Biography. If you want to look into his personal papers and
correspondence, they are at several sites including Ushaw College,
Durham; Westminster Diocesan Archives; Archbishop's House, Birmingham;
English College, Rome.

Full details of these are given in "Papers of British Churchmen,
1780-1940" published by the Royal Commission on Historical Manuscripts
in London in 1987. ISBN 0 11 440212 4.
--
Barney Tyrwhitt-Drake

Drake Software web site: http://www.tdrake.demon.co.u