GENIRE-L Archives

Archiver > GENIRE > 1998-07 > 0900534199

From: boregard <>
Subject: Mary O'neill NYC/Ireland
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 1998 21:23:19 +0100

I have read with great interest the many posts in this NG and am very
impressed with the general tone of conversation. I am in search of
missing links and am posting the information below in the hopes that
someone can help me.

I am searching for information on a Mary O’Neill, born in Ireland in
1908. She attended the National School in Ireland (?). Mary came to the
United States, New York City, where she worked at the New York Institute
for the Blind from 1932-1936. (Now the New york institute for Special
Education)

She gave birth to a daughter in 1938 and during her pregnancy she lived
at St. Anne’s Maternity Home, 175 3rd Avee, NYC 10021. The baby
daughter was born in the Bellview Hospital in NYC. The baby daughter
was named Mary O’Neill and was adopted from the Foundling Hospital
shortly after birth. It is believed that Mary may have returned to
Ireland. Mary was not married at the time of birth and nothing is known
about the father except thet he was posssibly Polish-American.

If anyone can provide additional information I will be very grateful.
I am still searching, but I am limited in my knowledge in genealogy.
Advice is a welcomed commodity. I have been to and bookmarked many
Irish websites in hopes of finding more information.

The infromation below is from
http://www.irishtimes.com/ancestor/placename which indicates the most
likely origin based on surnames..

PLACE NAMECOUNTY CIVIL PARISH POOR LAW UNION
SessiaghDonegalDonaghmore Stranorlar
(O'Neill)

Cavan O'NeillTyroneCarnteelClogher

If anyone can provide additional information or advice please contact me
me via email:

Thank you.

Bo

--