GENIRE-L Archives

Archiver > GENIRE > 1998-07 > 0900955998

From: Pat Traynor< >
Subject: Re: Co. Kerry; Letter West & Gleensk.
Date: 20 Jul 1998 10:33:18 -0700

Quoting..... (Tony Riordan)
>Thanks to Ginny Swanton, who was kind enough to send me a Griffith's
>Valuation report on my Riordan surname, I have narrowed my search to two
>very specific locations in the Poor Union of Cahirciveen, Co. Kerry.
>They are:
> 1. Co Kerry, Civil Parish Glanbehy, Location Letter West.
>
> 2. Co. Kerry, Civil Parish Killinane, Location Gleensk.
>
>Where is "Letter West," or "Gleensk"? My roadmaps don't show either.
>How does one look up these places listed in Griffith's Valuation?
=============
Townlands usually are not shown on most maps. Too small and too many!
I'll post this list of Parish Maps here as there are probably
several newbies here that will need the info.

The Irish townland maps can be ordered from your local LDS FHC.
They show the townlands in each civil parish.
The maps are the next level down from the maps in the book by Brian
Mitchell "A NEW GENERAL ATLAS OF IRELAND"

TITLE: Irish townland maps.
MAP
Scales vary.

PUBLICATION INFORMATION
Londonderry : Inner City Trust, 1989.

FORMAT
78 microfiches : maps.

NOTES
Microreproduction of original maps compiled by the trainees of Derry Youth
and Community Workshop and employees of the Inner City Trust.
Funded by the Department of Economic Development. [Supervisor:] Brian
Mitchell. Project Director: Patrick L. Doherty.

CONTENTS
It is the intention of this series to show, on a county basis, all
townlands within their respective civil parishes. To 1898, the
civil parish was the major administrative division. The two great
surveys of the 19th century - the tithe assessment and the Griffiths
valuation - were compiled on this basis with householders listed by
their townland address. Use the index at the beginning of each
county to identify the parish you need. Beside each map is a list
of each parish's constituent townlands.

BRITISH
FICHE AREA
Antrim County (2 fiches) --------------------------------- 6342438
Armagh County (1 fiche) --------------------------------- 6342439
Cavan County (2 fiches) --------------------------------- 6342440
Clare County (3 fiches) ---------------------------------- 6342452
Cork County, East (4 fiches) --------------------------- 6343060
Cork County, Middle (4 fiches) ------------------------ 6343061
Cork County, West (2 fiches) -------------------------- 6343062
Donegal County (2 fiches) ------------------------------ 6342441
Down County (2 fiches) ---------------------------------- 6342442
Fermanagh County (1 fiche) ---------------------------- 6342443
Galway County (5 fiches) -------------------------------- 6342447
Kerry County (4 fiches) ----------------------------------- 6343063
Kildare County (4 fiches) -------------------------------- 6343064
Leitrim County (1 fiche) ---------------------------------- 6342448
Limerick County (5 fiches) ------------------------------ 6343065
Louth County (3 fiches) ---------------------------------- 6343066
Londonderry County (2 fiches) ------------------------ 6342444
Mayo County (3 fiches) ---------------------------------- 6342449
Meath County (6 fiches) --------------------------------- 6343067
Monaghan County (1 fiche) ----------------------------- 6342445
Roscommon County (3 fiches) ------------------------- 6342450
Sligo County (2 fiches) ----------------------------------- 6342451
Tipperary County, North (3 fiches) -------------------- 6343068
Tipperary County, South (5 fiches) ------------------- 6343069
Tyrone County (2 fiches) -------------------------------- 6342446
Waterford County (3 fiches) ---------------------------- 6342453
Wicklow County (3 fiches) ------------------------------ 6343070

Patrick Traynor, in California's gold-rush country.

This thread: