GENIRE-L Archives

Archiver > GENIRE > 1998-07 > 0901168477

From: Pat Traynor< >
Subject: Costello & Keeley surnames
Date: 22 Jul 1998 21:34:37 -0700

(Mary Sullivan) wrote.......

>Since I received a couple of helpful responses to my Courigan post, I
>thought I would ask for help in determining where my COSTELLO and KEELEY
>ancestors may have originated...................
> Any Irish county (counties) to recommend for
>these surnames? Thanks
>Mary
===========
O'Keely was from Tipperary. O'Keeley from Clare, but don't bet too much on that.

O'Caolloaidhe was anglicised as Cayley, Kaely, Keely, etc.

O'Keely was a chief in Hy-Mac-Caille, now the barony of Imokilly, co. Cork.

Mac Costello was from Mayo. Mas Oscar was also anglicised as Costello.
COSTELLO:
The origin of the surname Costello provides a perfect illustration of the
way the native Irish absorbed the invading Normans. Soon after the
invasion, the deAngulo family, also known as 'Nangle', settled in Connacht,
where they rapidly became powerful. After only three generations, they had
begub to give themselves a surname formed in the Irish manner, with the
clan taking Jocelyn de Angulo as their eponymous forebear. Jocelyn was
rendered Goisdealbh in Irish, and the surname adopted was Mac
Goisdealbhaigh, later given the phonetic English equivalent 'Costello'.
Their power continued up to the seventeenth century, centred in east Mayo,
where they gave their name to the barony of Costello. Today the surname is
widely spread throughout Ireland, with the largest concentrations still in
the historic homeland of Connacht.
----------------
It is said that COSTELLO was derived from Costello, the second son of Gilbert
DeAngulo (a quo "Nangle"); but we find that Costello was so called from
Caosluig, a corruption of the "Caoluisge", a place near Ballyshannon, in
county Donegal, where in 1210 that second son Gilbert was, with many of the
English, slain by O'Neill and O'Donnell forces.
-----------
Edward MacLysaght's book 'IRISH FAMILIES'; He says " The
Costelloes were originally Nangles, or de Angulos, as that great Norman
family was called when, soon after the invasion, the Anglo-Normans occupied
Connacht. The first reference to them in the Four Masters is for the year
1193 when they were called the sons of Oisdealb, who was a son of the
famous Gilbert de Nangle, whence was formed the surname Mac Oisdealbh,
later Mac Oisdealbhaigh, anglicized MacCostello."

Patrick Traynor, in California's gold-rush country.

This thread: