GENIRE-L Archives

Archiver > GENIRE > 1998-07 > 0901468836

From: <>
Subject: Re: Generalisations about Ireland
Date: 26 Jul 1998 09:00:36 -0700

Hello List. My contribution to the on-going saga of who was first.

The definitive book of Irish history, in my humble opinion, is: THE STORY OF
THE IRISH RACE, by Seumas MacManus ( Copyright 1921 by Seumas MacManus; ISBN:
0-517-064081; Published by: The Devin-Adair Company, 143 Sound Beach Avenue,
Old Greenwich, Conn. 06870, U.S.A.)

"The Irish Race of today is popularly known as the Milesian Race, because the
genuine Irish (Celtic) people were supposed to be descended from Milesius of
Spain, whose sons, say the legendary accounts, invaded and possessed
themselves of Ireland a thousand years before Christ.

"But it is nearly as inaccurate to style the Irish people pure Milesian
because the land was conquered and settled by the Milesians, as it would be to
call them Anglo-Norman because it was conquered and settled by the twelfth
century English.

"The Races that occupied the land when the so-called Milesians came, chiefly
the Firbolg and the Tuatha De Danaan, were certainly not exterminated by the
conquering Milesians. Those two peoples formed the basis of the future
population, which was dominated and guided, and had its characteristics
moulded, by the far less numerous but more powerful Milesian aristocracy and
soldiery." (P.1).

This is a fascinating history story and I heartily endorse anyone to purchase
or borrow a copy and dive into the grand story of our people's past.

John Bossidy

This thread: