GENIRE-L Archives

Archiver > GENIRE > 1999-01 > 0916767208

From: "J.J.Kenny_Houston_Texas" <>
Subject: RE:County Conaught
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 12:33:28 -0500

Ann Ellen Barr at asks:

>Help please. The obituary for an uncle said "County Conaught" but I never
>see that. I see County Sligo and County Roscommon. I am attempting to
>understand their system of hierarchies.
>Also, am seeking WRIN and REDMOND names but never see them in a specific
>area listing.

Ann..The Province of Connaught (Connacht) is made up of five counties;
Galway,Leitrim,Mayo,Roscommon and Sligo. Any of the published guides to Irish
research will give you an explanation of the administrative structure in
Ireland. Try your Library.
I would question the spelling of the surname "WRIN' and look at IRWIN..a
common name in Ireland and found specifically in Co. Mayo. REDMOND is also
popular, especially in Co.Wexford.
Hope this is of some help to you. Jim

May God Bless You and Keep You

This thread: