GENIRE-L Archives

Archiver > GENIRE > 2000-12 > 0975935273

From: SeanRuad~< >
Subject: Re: Soc.genealogy.surnames.ireland
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2000 13:07:53 GMT

Pam Rothfield () wrote:

: Has anyone ever used this newsgroup? I seem to have a problem getting
: any articles from it whatsoever. Is it me or is there some magic spell
: one should know to access this group? : Pam

I haven't seen any postings to that NG in some time - as I remember,
when this NG (soc.genealogy.ireland) was split off from
soc.genealogy.uk+ire several years ago, the guidelines suggested that
general inquiries about SURNAMES be posted to the separate NG
soc.genealogy.surnames.ireland - the idea was that those inquiries,
while important, were of relatively little interest to those who were
persuing specific individuals or not inclined to respond (or read)
SURNAME (only) inquiries - over the years that practice has declined
and general SURNAME inquiries can be found lumped in here with the
"interesting' stuff <gg> Just Kidding!!

as with many 'unused' NG names this one has remained open but inactive -

maybe this will spur a movement to reactivate -
gee, we haven't had a good 'Turf War' in several years -

regards, SeanRuad~ *{:-) near Boston
Project Director for _The IreAtlas Project_
Phase II, Part 1 (Towns & Townlands) is now complete -
you are invited to visit our web site at
http://www.seanruad.com || COMMENTS WELCOME

of the BRODERICKs of Ballymalis, Beaufort, Co. Kerry, near the castle,
and the WHELTONs of Desert, Clonakilty, Co. Cork, near the quarry -

e-mail:
tel: 7 days ( EST 7am-4pm only ) (781) 646-3236
snail mail: 1424 Massachusetts Avenue
Arlington, MA 02476-4134 USA

This thread: