GENIRE-L Archives

Archiver > GENIRE > 2003-04 > 1049521060

From: Dennis Ahern <>
Subject: Re: Excerpts from Irish newspapers
Date: Sat, 5 Apr 2003 05:37:40 +0000 (UTC)

TO THE EDITOR OF THE CORK EXAMINER.
------------

Cove, Dec. 3, 1846

SIR--May I take the liberty of asking the favour of
contradicting (through your valuable paper) a report which
tended to injure the character of the Pilot Cutter Amphitrite,
which I command, belonging to the firm of C. and W. D.
Seymour and Co. ; such report being that the new cutter Pilot,
had out sailed us, and which arose from the crew of that vessel.

I beg leave to say that on Wednesday, Dec. 2, when with my
vessel off the Old Head, which was then bearing North about 4
miles, I sighted the Pilot about S. E., distant about 4 miles, the
wind at the time North, and blowing a whole-sail breeze. I
immediately bore down on her and gave her a fair trial into the
harbour Lighthouse (Her Majesty's cutter Badger then in
company), in which distance we gained two miles, in a dead
beat to windward, and are ready and willing to do the same any
time, from a four-reefed mainsail to a breeze of the same kind,
as I am confident of the Amphitrite's good qualities ; having had
occasion to know them when she was in her Majesty's service.
--I am, Sir, your obedient servant,

EDWARD SMITH.

--The Cork Examiner, 7 December 1846

Dennis Ahern | Ireland Newspaper Abstracts
Acton, Massachusetts | http://www.newspaperabstracts.com/Ireland