GENIRE-L Archives

Archiver > GENIRE > 2003-04 > 1051240789

From: Dennis Ahern <>
Subject: Re: Excerpts from Irish newspapers
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2003 03:19:49 +0000 (UTC)

EMIGRATION
--------
It must prove a great source of satisfaction to the settlers
of this province to become acquainted with the fact, that
emigration to Australia Felix has not wholly ceased ; on the
contrary, a well founded reliance on our resources and
future prosperity, has induced that spirited emigration agent,
Mr. Besnard, of Cork, to furnish this colony with a further
supply of labour--Messrs. Were, merchants, having
received advice from that gentleman that ten vessels are to
be successively despatched to this port laden with emigrants,
the first of which may be expected to arrive ere long. It is
perfectly unnecessary for us to eulogize the exertions which
Mr. Besnard has hitherto made on behalf of these colonies,
they are already well known, and, we trust, fully appreciated
; but we are right glad to find that, notwithstanding the
cessation of the government and bounty systems, he is still
endeavouring to alleviate the wants of Port Philip, by
furnishing us with an increased supply of labour.
Notwithstanding the "depression of the times," they will find
plenty of employment, cheerful homes, and encouraging
renumeration ; and Mr. Besnard may comfort himself with
the gratifying conviction that he has offered a boon both on
the colonists and the emigrants themselves.--Australian
Gazette [There can be no disputing the fact, that Mr.
Besnard and all others whose exertions facilitate the
emigration of the labouring agricultural inhabitants of this
country, are conferring a boon not only on the colonists but
also on the emigrants themselves. Whatever blessings are
likely to result to this country from future enterprize and
increased knowledge in husbandry and agriculture--
whatever improvement in the condition of the people may
follow from an alteration and amendment of the law of
landlord and tenant, these results and improvements will
require very many years to realize. Our children may enjoy
them, but hopeless poverty stare the present generation in
the face. Let them Emigrate. And when abroad, if they
push up into the country, and not take up their abode in the
first port where they may be landed, as a number of lazy
vagabonds have done already,--sending back an evil report
of a country of which they are perfectly ignorant, they will be
sure to meet scope for their enterprise, labour for their
hands, and reward for their industry.]--[ED.]

--The Southern Patriot [Mallow], 13 March 1844

Dennis Ahern | Ireland Newspaper Abstracts
Acton, Massachusetts | http://www.newspaperabstracts.com/Ireland