GENIRE-L Archives

Archiver > GENIRE > 2003-10 > 1065399441

From: Dennis Ahern <>
Subject: Re: Excerpts from Irish newspapers
Date: Mon, 6 Oct 2003 00:17:21 +0000 (UTC)

In soc.genealogy.ireland Eve McLaughlin <> wrote:
:> Prince Christian, and Princess Louise of Denmark, her
:> brother[s], the Princes Frederick William and
:> Waldemar, and her servitors,
: should be sisters
:> the Princess Dagmar and Thyra.

The paper said "servitors" which was a term used for attendants, or what
we would call bridesmaids.

: This arrival was the subject of one of Tennyson's potboilers
: 'Sea King's daughter from over the seas, Alexandra.
: Saxon and Norman and Dane are we,
: but Danish all in our lover for thee -Alexandra!

Yes, that was in the paper too, and I thought about transcribing it, but
decided it was too long and not really very interesting. Not as
interesting, for example, as another story I found once about another
daughter from over the sea, who dressed as a sailor and went to sea to
follow her lover to America.

-dja

This thread: