GENIRE-L Archives

Archiver > GENIRE > 2004-01 > 1074930876

From: (Murchadh)
Subject: Re: Graham Family History problem
Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2004 07:54:36 GMT

On Sat, 24 Jan 2004 01:25:24 -0000, "Allan Connochie"
<> wrote:

>"Murchadh" <> wrote in message news:...

>> Noo, let me gie ye a wheen bit Border Scots frae the eichteen hunnerts
>> tae tak a keek at and see dae ye ken whit it's aa aboot! Ah ken maist
>> o it, but his spellin's nae the Queen's Inglis!
>
>I'll have a bash.
>

>> "For aa that the sun, hoisin itsel i the lift owreheed, thraetent an
>> efter-heat that wad be fit ti muzz folk, the forenuin air was caller
>> an clear, an stoor was awanteen whan A tuik ti the lang road that rins
>> doon throwe Newtoon an bye the Dryburgh loaneen on ti Bosells Green.
>
> For all that the sun, lifting itself up in the sky overhead, threatened to
>muzzle folk, the forenoon air was fresh and clear, and dust was lacking when
>I took the long road that runs down through Newtown and past the Dryburgh
>track on to St Boswell's Green.
>

>> "Everly, the road was thrang wui droves o nowt-aa keinds, untellin-kye
>> an tiups an keilies an yowes, mixty- maxty, rowtin an mehhin an
>> blehhin; doddies an starks an queys an stots an gimmers an hoggies an
>> grumphies an guissies-wui nurrin teikes snackin an yowfin an boochin
>> at ther cluits; bit fient a steekin bull ti yoke on ov a body, for the
>> bease war mensefih, an ilka herd hed a bleithe word i the byegangeen.
>
>Continually, the road was thronged with droves of beasts of all kinds.
>Strange cattle and rams and ???? and ewes, all mixed up, bellowing and
>mehhing and bleating, bullocks and heifers and young heifers and heifers and
>bullocks and lambs and year old lambs and pigs and sows and snarling dogs
>snapping and woofing and barking at their hooves; but no sign of a charging
>bull to barge over anybody, for the beasts were calm, and every shepherd had
>a friendly word on going by.
>
>[I must admit I needed to go to a dictionary for most words between 'starks'
>and 'guisses' with the exception of 'gimmers' and 'hoggies'. I don't know
>if the various words describe ages etc or if the writer is just using
>varying terms to describe a host of animals. It certainly works! Keilies I
>was unsure of though it may be kylies [ie Highland cattle] though I couldn't
>help imagining wee Glaswegians amongst the throng!]
>

>> "Still an on, thir billies hed a sair hatter or they got the bruits
>> weerd bye the cairts an hurlbarrihs an yirrint-vans an thing, that
>> every-wee-bittie dunsht other i the strooshie. Faix, it was aa leike
>> thon killeen-hoose brae at Mainchester, thonder (div ee kenn'd?); bit
>> no a biggeen keind was there ti be seen, nor was there ony warden
>> polis ti redd oot the bizz wui skeely maig.
>
>Still they came, these lads had a right bother until they got the brutes
>next to the carts and wheelbarrows and errand-vans and things, that every
>now and again a beast banged into another one in the mayhem. Faith, it was
>like that abbatoir on the hill at Manchester, that one there [do you know
>it?]; but not a supervisor was there to be seen, nor was there any warden or
> [...]

Excellent translation! I have a feeling that the above is how an older
person would have spoken in those days; say your great or great-great
grandfather. I know from my own researches that WWI opened a huge
window of change in rural areas and complete dialects began to die
during this time, leaving behind dialect words interspersed with
standard or near-standard English.

In fact I've heard this myself in the speech of two Borderers I knew
here in Vancouver. One was an old lady, noe deceased, who used all the
words your granny would have; the other was a nurse in her thirties
whio had a Border accent but spoke English, lapsing into Border
dialect when talking to Scots like me who understand her localisms.

Here's more information:

http://www2.arts.gla.ac.uk/SESLL/STELLA/STARN/prose/COWAN/intro.htm

As you can see it's from a book c;alled

"Mang Howes and Knowes"

A Day's Dander Throwe Border Waeter - Gates

BY HAWICK: (alias Elliot Cowan Smith, 1891 - 1917.

ALLAN WATT & Son, Printers, Station Buildings.

The book with illustrations is set out at:

http://www2.arts.gla.ac.uk/SESLL/STELLA/STARN/prose/COWAN/cowan.htm

It's like a window into another world, isn't it? He's a fit man; he
gangs bei Jethart and Denum, aa the wey tae Haiick!

Murchadh.

This thread: