GENIRE-L Archives

Archiver > GENIRE > 2005-09 > 1127024839

From: Dennis Ahern <>
Subject: Re: How hard will it be to find ancestor information?
Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2005 06:27:19 +0000 (UTC)

John Pezzano <> wrote:
: My wife's great grandmother was, we believe, born in County Clare on, we
: believe, Dec 25, 1827. How difficult would it be to trace her when we go
: visit there without going through (paying for) one of the "services" that
: trace ancestors. My though would be to go to each parish in the county to
: look at records. Possible? Other choices?

The simplest way to do it would be to pay a heritage centre in county
Clare to check their index to see if she is in their database. It would
probably cost less than the gas it would take to drive to every parish in
Clare, assuming you had the time and the parish priests didn't just tell
you to go to the heritage centre as they have more pressing commitments
than helping out tourists searching for their roots. It would be much
simpler for you to go to the National Library in Dublin and go through all
of the parish records on microfilm for County Clare. Because you have a
specific date, this may be easier than it sounds.

See:http://www.mayo-ireland.ie/Geneal/Clare.htm
Co. Clare Family Heritage Centre computerizing parish records
Provides search service for a fee
See http://tiara.ie/results.htm for customer comments

http://scripts.ireland.com/ancestor/browse/counties/munster/index_cl.htm
Co. Clare sources for genealogy

http://www.rootsweb.com/~irlcla/index.htm
County Clare Genealogical Project

http://www.connorsgenealogy.com/clare/
County Clare Surnames and Census Records

http://www.rootsweb.com/~irlcla2/
County Clare GenWeb

http://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/library/local-studies/clasp/
Clare Local Studies Project

http://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/coclare/genealogy/genealog.htm
Clare County Library Genealogy

http://www.familia.org.uk/services/eire/clare.html
County Clare Library Family History Resources

http://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/coclare/places/parishes.htm
Parishes and Townlands in Co. Clare

http://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/coclare/history/
parliamentary_gazeteer_1845.htm [two-line url]
Parliamentary Gazeteer of Clare 1845

http://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/coclare/genealogy/
1901census/1901_clare_census.htm [two-line url]
1901 Census of County Clare

This thread: