GENIRE-L Archives

Archiver > GENIRE > 2005-09 > 1127024839

From: Dennis Ahern <>
Subject: Re: How hard will it be to find ancestor information?
Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2005 06:27:19 +0000 (UTC)

John Pezzano <> wrote:
: My wife's great grandmother was, we believe, born in County Clare on, we
: believe, Dec 25, 1827. How difficult would it be to trace her when we go
: visit there without going through (paying for) one of the "services" that
: trace ancestors. My though would be to go to each parish in the county to
: look at records. Possible? Other choices?

The simplest way to do it would be to pay a heritage centre in county
Clare to check their index to see if she is in their database. It would
probably cost less than the gas it would take to drive to every parish in
Clare, assuming you had the time and the parish priests didn't just tell
you to go to the heritage centre as they have more pressing commitments
than helping out tourists searching for their roots. It would be much
simpler for you to go to the National Library in Dublin and go through all
of the parish records on microfilm for County Clare. Because you have a
specific date, this may be easier than it sounds.

Co. Clare Family Heritage Centre computerizing parish records
Provides search service for a fee
See for customer comments
Co. Clare sources for genealogy
County Clare Genealogical Project
County Clare Surnames and Census Records
County Clare GenWeb
Clare Local Studies Project
Clare County Library Genealogy
County Clare Library Family History Resources
Parishes and Townlands in Co. Clare
parliamentary_gazeteer_1845.htm [two-line url]
Parliamentary Gazeteer of Clare 1845
1901census/1901_clare_census.htm [two-line url]
1901 Census of County Clare

This thread: