GENIRE-L Archives

Archiver > GENIRE > 2005-12 > 1134478951

From: Dennis Ahern <>
Subject: Re: Excerpts from Irish newspapers
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2005 13:02:31 +0000 (UTC)

In soc.genealogy.ireland Alle <> wrote:

: Hi, I have a question. I see you are always making postings from the
: Cork newspaper. My great grandfather James Daly, son of Timothy Daly,
: was born in Mallow, County Cork 1825 and emigrated to USA around 1850.
: I am wondering where you get all those articles about Cork, and if you
: would know of any newspaper that would have covered Mallow 1800 to say
: 1870? Thanks so much.

See http://www.nli.ie/newsplan/CountyList.asp?County=6 for a list of Cork
papers. The only paper published in Mallow was the "Southern Patriot"
which only ran for a few months in 1844. THe Cork Examiner, and other
Cork papers covered news from Mallow. If you put Daly and Mallow together
in the IrelandOldNews search engine you will get 57 hits and four more for
Daley and Mallow. All this means, however, is that the two terms appear
on the same page of the website, not necessarily in the same article or
even date of issue.

There was a Patrick James John Daly, aged 6, of Mallow, whose death notice
appeared in the Irish Examiner (formerly the Cork Examiner) 14, and 16
May 2001. And there was a notice for Timothy Daly of Mallow, aged 18, in
the Cork Examiner of 20 January 1911.

Dennis Ahern | Ireland Newspaper Abstracts
Acton, Massachusetts | http://www.IrelandOldNews.com