GENIRE-L Archives

Archiver > GENIRE > 2007-02 > 1171898054

From: "James A. Doemer" <>
Subject: Re: Win a trip to Cork, Ireland!
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2007 15:14:14 GMT
References: <1171641885.551853.324100@k78g2000cwa.googlegroups.com><45D6198E.4060507@copper.net><1171661026.845865.32850@v45g2000cwv.googlegroups.com><4cvBh.12497$4H1.9160@newssvr17.news.prodigy.net><er692i$68v$2@reader01.news.esat.net><T6OBh.377$8U4.187@news-server.bigpond.net.au><er8rd9$79t$1@reader01.news.esat.net><XVZBh.2979$_73.1806@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net><erbc1p$7jk$1@reader01.news.esat.net><KjgCh.3913$Jl.1527@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net><53tr3tF1tekqjU1@mid.individual.net>

In News ,, katy at ,
typed this:

> James A. Doemer wrote:
>> In News erbc1p$7jk$1@reader01.news.esat.net,, Cerumen at
>> , typed this:
>>

>>> "James A. Doemer" <> wrote in message

>>> I travel all over the world and have lived in many countries, in
>>> general I am easy going about trying other cuisines and have eaten a
>>> lot of stuff that most people would not even think about, especially
>>> in the far and middle east. Fresh, non mass produced food is
>>> available in most countries and is pretty much always edible and in
>>> some cases delicious but the point remains that there are bad cooks
>>> in every country. Here the main faults in cooking are to me that
>>> most fresh veg is badly over cooked and that everybody uses far too
>>> much salt in cooking.
>>

>> I rarely use much salt, if any, when I cook. I figure that if it is
>> setting at the table, then the diner can salt his/her meal to taste.
>> I've never much cared for salt or pepper. I have travelled
>> extensively as well, and have tried many other foods, but I don't
>> generally gravitate toward exotic or very spicy foods.
>>

> That's an acquired thing, I believe...my Korean duaghter-in-laws idea
> of hot and spicy is entirely different than mine...I cannot hold a
> forkful if her kimchee in my mouth let alone let it go donw...would
> take a year's supply of antiacids to undo the damage..yet my
> grandchildren wolf the stuff fown like it's ice cream...same with
> curry..I like curry but use a tablespoon or so in a casserole or rice
> dish...not handfuls of the stuff! I do not like sweating curry from
> my pours for 3 days afterwards!

I know what you mean. Many Korean and Thai dishes are way too much spice for
me.

This thread: