GENMSC-L Archives

Archiver > GENMSC > 1997-01 > 0852740695

From: Brian Mavrogeorge <>
Subject: Re: Dealing with Name Changes
Date: Wed, 8 Jan 1997 08:24:55 -0800

> If someone has the answer to this question, please enlighten me. I am
> wondering how to record the name of people who have undergone a name
> change.

I have the same situtation working with Greek genealogies. In one case
a person was christened with a Greek name, known as a child by a quite
different English name, and changed his name to yet a third unique name.

I use as "the" name, the name used on the birth certificate. Then I show
the others as aka or common name. In the index to the genealogy I have
an entry under both "the" name and the common name.

So Alexander Mavrogeorge is listed as Alexander Mavrogeorge.
His son Timoleon Mavrogeorge is listed as Timoleon Mavrogeorge with a
name of Leo Blacke.
His children are listed with the surname of Blacke.

IMHO a good approach is whatever name is chosen as "the" name, to gives
of information in the text about other names used and add those
alternate entries
to the index.
Brian Mavrogeorge, Executive Producer My sole opinions,
Palladium Interactive, Inc. changed often <g>
Do NOT add me to mailing lists or send commercial solicitations!!

This thread: