GENUKI-L Archives

Archiver > GENUKI > 1969-12 > 0000001700

From: Eben Graves<>
Subject: TINGEY; BDF/HRT, UK; 1700'S

I am working slowly but surely on the ancestry of CAPT Thomas TINGEY, USN,
(1750-1829), the first superintendent of the Washington, D.C., Navy Yard.

It seems possible that he was the sixth child of William Tingey (1712- ??
) and his wife Anne Pilot (1706- ?? ) both of Lowestoft, Suffolk, and the
grandson of William Tingey ( ?? - 1713) and his wife Alice Kitteridge (?
1686-1753), who were married and died in Lowestoft. The birth of the
elder William Tingey is not recorded in Lowestoft, nor are the deaths of
the younger William or his wife.

IGI suggests that the name TINGEY is very uncommon in Suffolk, but lists
many William's and Thomas's, primarily in Beds. There are nine William
Tingey births or christenings listed between 1664 and 1688, seven in Beds.
and two in Herts, any one of which would be the right age to be the
grandfather of CAPT Thomas.

Has anyone seen a study of the Tingey family? Is there a family history
society for this family? Please let me know via e-mail .... Thanks!

Eben Graves ... RTGY98A @ PRODIGY.COM ... Norwalk, CT, USA

This thread: