GENUKI-L Archives

Archiver > GENUKI > 1996-07 > 0836757539

From: <>
Subject: UPHAM/Upton - Kilbeggan/Rahugh Co Westmeath
Date: Sun, 7 Jul 1996 12:38:59 -0400

Looking for any of the above family from Attyconnor/Rahugh/Kilbeggan,
Co Westmeath born in mid 19th century.

Following initial research carried out for me by the Offaly Historical &
Archaeological Society, Tullamore, with excellent results for starters,
I have searched original local parish registers in Kilbeggan recently
and found entries for my own direct ancestors (William and Ann (nee Cusack))
and their son John) but William's other five children are nowhere to be found
in that parish after they were baptised. Where did they go? Emigrated?

Also, it is thought they were incomers to Rahugh circa 1835 but origins
unknown - any trace of family elsewhere?

Family name first was Upham (see Griffiths Valuation 1854 for Rahugh) but,
by the time of William's death in 1866 it had become Upton - which is
my surname.

John Upton (b. 1849, M. Ester Byrne 1879 in Ballycommon/Philipstown)
who came to Birkenhead, England circa 1888, is my great grandfather.

Gilbert Upton

This thread: