GENUKI-L Archives

Archiver > GENUKI > 1996-08 > 0841415131

From: Wayne Mitchell <>
Subject: Robert the Bruce's and the Dishingtons
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 1996 14:25:31 GMT

In my endeavour to trace the DISHINGTON family of Scotland I
have come across the following people:

SIR WILLIAM DISHINGTON (knight) married to ELIZABETH. They
lived during the reign of KING ROBERT I (ROBERT THE BRUCE).
Their sons were:
JOHN DISHINGTON (lived during reign of KING ROBERT I)
SIR WILLIAM DISHINGTON (lived during reign of KING DAVID
II) His son was
THOMAS DISHINGTON (mentioned in 1402)

It appears that the DISHINGTON family was related to the kings of
Scotland:

1. The following books claim that ELIZABETH (the wife of
WILLIAM DISHINGTON the elder) was a sister of KING ROBERT I
the BRUCE:
a.) "The Peerage of Scotland" by George Crawfurd
(Edinburgh / 1716);
b.) "The Peerage of Scotland" by ROBERT Douglas
(Edinburgh / 1764);
c.) "Angus or Forfarshire" by Alexander Warden (Dundee
/ 1881);
d.) "The East Neuk of Fife" by Walter Wood (Edinburgh /
1887);
e.) "Fasti Ecclesiae Scoticanae" by H. Scott (Edinburgh
/ Vol 7. 1915);
f.) "ROBERT BRUCE KING of Scots" by Agnes MacKenzie
(Edinburgh / 1956).
(I must mention at this point that many other authors do
not mention any connection between the DISHINGTONs and
BRUCEs. As a matter of fact, they do not mention
anything at all about ELIZABETH! They sometimes do use
the above mentioned books as references, but neglect to
contradict these authors in the case of ELIZABETH being
a sister of ROBERT I, the BRUCE!)

2. ROBERT I (the BRUCE), KING of Scotland, called JOHN
DISHINGTON: "nepoti suo" meaning "his (the KING's)
nephew".

3. The same KING called WILLIAM DISHINGTON (the elder)
"consanguineo nostro" (our blood relative or cousin).

4. DAVID II (KING of Scotland) called SIR WILLIAM DISHINGTON
(the younger): "consanguineo nostro". Dr. Athol Murray, of
the Scottish Record Office, wrote me: ""DAVID II's charter
to SIR WILLIAM DISHINGTON ... describes him as
'consanguineo nostro', but this can mean 'kinsman' rather
than an actual first cousin. ... If we interpret DAVID II's
reference ... narrowly, this would imply that SIR WILLIAM's
father or grandfather had married a sister of ROBERT I."

5. ROBERT III (KING of Scotland) called THOMAS DISHINGTON:
"dilecto nepoti nostro" (our dear nephew). According to Dr.
Athol Murray: "Nepos can mean grandson as well as nephew,
though I think in this case the latter is more likely.".
According to the English "Dictionary of National Biography",
KING ROBERT II of Scotland had a dozen or more illegitimate
children - many of whose names are not known. I believe it
possible that the mother of THOMAS DISHINGTON was in fact
one of the illegitimate children of KING ROBERT III.

I have undertaken the task of reading through all of the
documents (available to me in printed books) of the above
mentioned KINGs to try to determine when the used the term
"nephew" and "kinsman". Other than WILLIAM WYSEMAN (whose
relation to the royal familes is unknown to me) and the
DISHINGTON family, I have determined that the term "kinsman"
was only used in connection with an actual kinsman of the KING
or a person married to a kinsman of the KING. Also the term
"nephew" was only used when the person in question was truely a
nephew of the KING.

I have not been able to find ELIZABETH (the wife of WILLIAM
DISHINGTON the elder) mentioned in any documents.

I believe that the DISHINGTONs were in fact directly related to
the royal family of BRUCE and Stewart in Scotland. But I do not
have any proof.

Can anyone help me in this matter?

Wayne Mitchell

This thread: