GENUKI-L Archives

Archiver > GENUKI > 1997-08 > 0870522963

From: Brian Tompkins <>
Subject: Re: Has anyone heard of Foskett, Somerset?
Date: Sat, 2 Aug 1997 07:56:03 -0400

Dianne Sutton wrote:

> The Emberton, Bucks census of 1851 shows the place of birth of my
> g-g-g-grandmother Mary Ann as Foskett, Somerset.
>
> She was the wife of William Howson, her maiden name is currently
> unknown. She is aged 40 on the 1841 census at Emberton and 53 on the
> 1851 census. Her place of birth is shown as Bucks - like the rest of the
> family - in 1841.
>

>From my own experience the spelling of place names and the accuracy of
the county often leaves something to be desired in the census records.
If there was such a place as Foskett, I can find no trace of it today.
However assuming the enumerator simply spelled the name as it sounded
you may want to consider FOSCOTE as an alternative. Although there are
no Foscotes in the current county of Somerset, a search of the Ordnance
Survey Gazetteer shows that it does exist in Wiltshire and
Buckinghamshire.

Regards

--
| Brian Tompkins | THE DORSET PAGE |