GEORGE-L Archives

Archiver > GEORGE > 1999-04 > 0924142208

From: Vicky Drake< >
Subject: Re: [GEORGE-L] George-KY-IN.
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 1999 19:10:08 -0700 (MST)

Hi Shirley and the other George researchers,

I also have an elusive John George. John married into my HOUSDEN
line on June 15, 1811 in Shenandoah County, Virginia (probably in an area
that is now Page County) when he married Sarah Housden. I have no idea
where John came from or who his parents were, although I suspect that he
was a resident of Shenandoah or Rockingham Counties in Virginia. He and
Sarah then dropped off the face of the earth. Sarah's brother Benjamin
Housden migrated to Williamson County Tennessee by 1818 and on to
Henry County, Tennessee by 1848. Many of Benjamin's family were and
are still in the Jackson Purchase area of Kentucky.

I have no earthly idea why Benjamin moved to Tennessee. As nearly as I
can tell there aren't other folks from Shenandoah County Virginia living in
Williamson County, Tennessee with Benjamin. Benjamin did marry an
Elizabeth Turner in 1814 in Rockingham County, Va before he migrated
west. I haven't had any success finding Elizabeth's family either. There
were several families of Turners in Rockingham County but I can't pin her
to any of them. I think there may be a single Turner family in early Williamson
County but I can't get them traced back to Shenandoah or Rockingham Counties.

I did find the following John George in the 1820 Tennessee Census index.
Maurry County is a neighboring county of Williamson County.
1820 Maurry County Tennessee Federal Census Index
George, Johathan
100100 - 01000

I'd love to hear from anyone who might have any creative ideas.

>My elusive George is John George, b. 1801, KY., who married (the first

This thread: