GEORGE-L Archives

Archiver > GEORGE > 2000-01 > 0948602312

From: <>
Subject: [GEORGE-L] Fwd: [GAINES] Rockefeller Library-- Williamsburg, VA
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2000 23:38:32 EST

--part1_9c.12adeeb.25bbdfc8_boundary

Forwarded with the permission of Juleigh Muirhead Clark, who says,
"We are trying to reach as many as possible." Please forward to any
list I haven't reached yet! -Carol

ROCKEFELLER LIBRARY UNVEILS NEW WEBSITE

The John D. Rockefeller, Jr. Library has unveiled a greatly
expanded section on the Colonial Williamsburg website
(http://www.history.org), offering individuals interested in the Colonial
Chesapeake the opportunity to search the library's vast collections.

New features include PATRIOT, the Rockefeller Library's online
catalog listing the 68,000 titles in the Library, and guides to manuscript,
microfilm, selected photograph and other research collections, such as
the Shirley Plantation Collection of over 18,000 manuscript items.
Previously, individuals had to physically visit the library or be
connected to an internal network to access these resources.

"We have electronically opened the doors to our major collections
by adding finding aids and the Library catalog to the World Wide
Web," says Public Services Librarian Juleigh Clark. "Now, when
researchers come to the Library, they will have a better idea of what we
own, and we can serve them more efficiently." Other features on the
website include a virtual exhibit of some of the treasures from the
Rockefeller Library's rare book and manuscript collections and special
indexes to articles in The Colonial Williamsburg Journal and The Colonial
Williamsburg Interpreter. Of special interest is an index to the several
hundred research reports written at Colonial Williamsburg over the last
sixty years. Early American History Research Reports are distinguished
for the significant amount of primary source material in them and for their
time and place specificity: eighteenth-century Virginia.

The John D. Rockefeller, Jr. Library is a research library
specializing in the history and culture of the colonial Chesapeake. It
is located near the Historic Area at 313 First Street and is open to
the public. Library hours are Monday through Friday from 10 a.m. to 5
p.m.

Contact:
Juleigh Muirhead Clark
Public Services Librarian